Compressor converts video. Use it to convert videos you want to bring INTO Final Cut Pro, and also use it to convert video coming OUT of Final Cut Pro.
GETTING VIDEO INTO FINAL CUT
For use with Snapzed videos, Internet videos, Standard Definition footage from the IML Sony Hard Drive Camcorders, etc.
1. Drag your clip onto the Compressor Icon (or right click -> open with -> 'compressor')
2. Compressor will launch, loading your clip into a new 'batch' in the top left window of the program.
3. Now you need to tell it which settings to use to reformat your clip.
For editing, the most common format will be DV NTSC 48khZ Anamorphic (for standard definition)
Apple Pro Res 422 (for high definition)
If you are NOT planning to edit with your converted clip and just want it in a new format, compressor has lots of presets for making Quick Time movies that will play on certain devices or in certain situations, such as 'iPhone' 'Apple TV' etc.
4. Apply settings, Right click on your CLIP in the batch window choose -> new target with setting -> apple -> other workflows -> advanced format conversion -> standard def -> DV NTSC 48Khz Anamorphic
Use the SEARCH BOX on the settings window by typing in some letters for the setting you want to find, find it, then drag it onto your clips in the batch window.
5. Set Destination. The default destination is 'source' meaning that the new clip will be created in the same place as the old clip. To change the destination, right click on your CLIP in the batch window choose -> destination -> other. Then choose where you want to save your new file.
6. Once your settings and destination are set, click 'Submit' and then 'Submit' again to start processing. You can check your progress by opening the 'Batch Monitor' and clicking on 'This Computer' to see your batch progress.
GETTING VIDEO OUT OF FINAL CUT PRO
Once you are done editing in Final Cut Pro, you may want to use compressor to convert your work into different formats for different uses.
Just make sure you have the proper sequence selected, and choose File > Send To > Compressor
This will create a new batch in Compressor from your Final Cut Pro sequence. You can then add any presets you like. The DVD settings are the most common. You can also use presets for iPhone, AppleTV etc. Snapz Pro TutorialIML Lab and Tech Resources